Civilization Gaming Network Forums - Archive  

Go Back   Civilization Gaming Network Forums - Archive > Game Forums > SMAC/X - General/Help/Strategy

Old 20th June 2009, 03:05

Exclamation [Admin] Orientation and Moderation

Moderator's Note: The following post was in its own thread "SMAC/X Bug Fix Project Orientation." We've merged the two threads to consolidate stickied threads.

Welcome to the SMAC/X Bug Fix Project!

A quick history of the Bug Fix Project

The project started at Alpha Centauri - Civilization Fanatics' Forums in the list of all curent bugs in AC(X) thread with

Quote:
Originally Posted by scient
I was wondering if anyone knew of a list of all the current bugs that exist in the game unresolved by the official patches? Alpha C is one of my fav classic games and I figured I'd see about working on an unofficial patch similar to project fixing engine bugs in Planescape: Torment.
After being linked to the Alpha Centauri - Apolyton Civilization Site Forums, scient saw a thread with the Data Angels roll-over bug and fixed it in 12 hours. The next day he fixed the interceptor scrambler bug.

The project found a home.

Why Scient and I moved the project here

(1) The patch couldn't be posted at Apolyton. As Nasrudin pointed out, even CFC allows patches.

(2) Combing repeatedly through a single large thread (there are now 500 responses to the thread at Apolyton) to find all the posts relating to a bug was a pain. Apolyton was willing to create a subforum only after there was official approval.

(3) A friendly administration and a friendly moderator. Due to the recent transition at Apolyton, most of scient's contacts at Apolyton are gone.

A quick history about the Civilization Gaming Network

(1) I believe it was started by Apolyton members who were unhappy about Apolyton, somewhat similar to the WePlayCiv Forums.

(2) From the front page

Quote:
The Civilization Gaming Network is a run by gamers for gamers. ... The site has existed since Oct. 2000 ... You will find no adds on our site. It is an entirely non-commercial, non-political activity.

We have possibly the most extensive collection of Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri related write-ups, mod packs, maps, factions, fiction etc. in existence. Find them in our SMAC section.
A few organizational notes

(1) I have set up a SMAC/X Bug Fix Project social group. The primary purpose is to let me and others know who should be PM'ed about the project. If you want notices, please join the group. If you no longer want to receive notices, leave this group.

(2) In order to send and receive PM's, you must have been registered for 48 hours and made two posts (this doesn't apply to CMN private forum members). Feel free to start a thread in the Off-Topic forum introducing yourself and respond to someone else's thread. There are only two non-SMAC regulars there: z4ckdabeast, part of the Civ's future, and phoenixcager, a self-described "relic."

(3) While you are welcome to post anything SMAC related in this forum, the only people that will read it are people interested in the Bug Fix Project. If you want a wider audience, consider CFC, Apolyton or WePlayCiv.

(4) The threads related to the Bug Fix Project will be heavily moderated. Scient and I go through posts repeatedly for issues like morale and having all the posts in one thread without clutter helps.

Thanks

Like scient, I'd like to thank buster, CGN's owner. I had only 28 posts here when I sent him a link to the Bug Fix Project and asked for moderation powers, which he gave without further question. He also raised the maximum size of zip and rar files that can be attached here to accomodate the patch.

How you might be able to help scient

There is one important thing on scient's wish list that one of you might be able to help fulfill. Scient would love to work with a designer or programmer who was involved with either SMAC or SMAX, in a similar way he works with Quinn on the Planescape: Torment project.

If any of you happens to know someone who knows a designer or programmer and you could help scient get that designer or programmer involved in this project, you will make scient's day, week and month!

Last edited by vyeh; 27th June 2010 at 16:47. Reason: Add prefix
Old 23rd April 2010, 05:52

Re: scient, what is your process?

Moderator's Note: Moved from the scient, what is your process thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrazharLn View Post
I posted again so that bdanv would get a notification that I had replied as I hadn't addressed him earlier. I really should read these rules of yours, if double posting is against them or if you don't want me to do it, I'll stop.
As I noted, double posting is fine as it is a good way to notify people there is new material; however, I tend to merge old (usually more than a day old) double posts.

I prefer people to start new threads (chuft is a natural) when introducing a new topic, but I can fix that.

I like posts with content. I'm not sure a post saying, "I don't know" adds anything to a conversation; however, a post saying, "I've never heard of (or seen) that situation," does.

None of these are anything to worry about. Read buster's post at the top of this forum.

Last edited by vyeh; 3rd May 2010 at 19:18. Reason: Added moderator's note
Old 29th April 2010, 09:34

Thumbs up chuft is moderator of this forum

Moderator's Note: The following post and several related posts were a separate thread, which we merged with the Rules and Orientation thread to create more real estate.

chuft has been appointed mod to keep the forum organized (merging double posts, splitting threads when new topics arise). We have agreed that he will only take noncontroversial actions.

He is your friend. If you inadvertently created a duplicate post, PM him and he can remove it. If you want to change the title of your thread, PM him.

Because he is one of the most prolific posters and thread starters I've seen in awhile (and they are all relevant), I expect most of the time he will be using his moderating powers on his own posts and threads.

One of the reasons I wanted him as a moderator here is because he is a modder (he created the Lazymod) and scient will be able to use his perspective when scient moves past fixing bugs to fixing the limitations that drive modders crazy.

For instance, chuft has been trying to create "balloon transports" that can not be reversed engineered. I'm pretty sure scient could change the code so that if a unit in the #UNITS list has the "slow" attribute, it can't be reversed engineered in the same way a unit in the #UNITS list that has a psi attack factor can't be reversed engineered.

My intention is to leave organizing the forum to chuft who should work with scient to facilitate the project.

Please be nice to him and give him some allowances to make the mistakes new moderators make. If you feel he has made an error with regard to your posts, send him a polite email.

Remember, he is your friend and much nicer than either buster or me.

Last edited by vyeh; 5th May 2010 at 18:29. Reason: Added moderator's note
Old 29th April 2010, 09:51

Re: chuft is moderator of this forum

Quote:
I expect most of the time he will be using his moderating powers on his own posts
Old 29th April 2010, 17:38

Congratulations to chuft!

Petek
Old 29th April 2010, 19:22

Congratulations chuft!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyeh View Post
One of the reasons I wanted him as a moderator here is because he is a modder (he created the Lazymod) and scient will be able to use his perspective when scient moves past fixing bugs to fixing the limitations that drive modders crazy.

For instance, chuft has been trying to create "balloon transports" that can not be reversed engineered. I'm pretty sure scient could change the code so that if a unit in the #UNITS list has the "slow" attribute, it can't be reversed engineered in the same way a unit in the #UNITS list that has a psi attack factor can't be reversed engineered.
I have strong views and lots of ideas on how we should implement things like this, I look forward to discussing it with you.

Quote:
My intention is to leave organizing the forum to chuft who should work with scient to facilitate the project.
This sounds like you'll be taking a backseat role here, am I reading that correctly?

Quote:
Remember, he is your friend and much nicer than either buster or me.
I could hardly forget that, we all love chuft
Old 29th April 2010, 20:31

Quote:
I have strong views and lots of ideas on how we should implement things like this, I look forward to discussing it with you.
It will certainly be interesting.

Quote:
This sounds like you'll be taking a backseat role here, am I reading that correctly?
Thanks in part to you, this has been an exciting week. I enjoy reading threads like Rush Buying - Maximise your ECs today!, where the group discusses SMAC/X in detail.

I really enjoyed participating in Fixing SMACX Bugs.

Right now, Petek and I are collaboratively trying to figure out why "red faction" attacking bases are so weak. This is fun.

Without disparaging other SMAC forums, I think there is a place for a forum where the emphasis is on content rather than community and where there is a concern for the future reader as well as the current poster. I had an intense debate about these issues elsewhere.

I am extremely grateful to buster for giving me the chance to realize this vision in part. Now, I'd like to give chuft the same opportunity. At first, I expect chuft to learn to deal with the moderation controls. It may take him a while before he can perform "thread surgery" like the type used to "insta-build" Unity Foil Cargo Capacity (see post #5 in the thread).

Then he will learn how to deal with the helpful (seriously, I am not being sarcastic) suggestions from this group. (The last two threads I split were at your and Petek's suggestion.)

At some point, it will dawn on him that rather than having some of his graphics moved around at another forum, he can post them here and link to them from other forums.

Later, he may decide there is an area that is not being adequately addressed elsewhere and address it here.

The .exe editing project that you have proposed is a good example. The fact that scient responded so quickly to my PM shows that he is interested in sharing the lessons he learned the hard way. That is the reason I pointed it out to him and why I repeated it to him in the check-in thread.

To answer your question, yes, if you mean the SMAC/X - General/Help/Strategy forum. This will give chuft room to drive.

Quote:
I could hardly forget that, we all love chuft
I'm glad to hear that.

Edit: I want to alert everyone to the announcement at the top of this forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuft
This is just to let everyone know I will be busy with real life this week and won't have much time for SMACX stuff.

Exciting stuff for an announcement, I know.
This is an entirely appropriate announcement.

I believe this is chuft's 4th day and I am very pleased. We've covered all the moderation controls (it is complicated by the fact that I have more privileges than he does and I never used the controls as a moderator).

One of the reasons I asked buster to only give chuft moderator status is that he can make fewer mistakes that way. (I've accidentally deleted two of Petek's posts; chuft can't do that because all of his deletes are reversible.)

chuft started a thread in the closed forum Creation subforum.

It is too late to move it because someone has responded and may wish for his comments to be confidential.

For the sake of people who are not members of the closed forum, I'll excerpt it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuft View Post
Would there be any interest in having a public Creation subforum to the main SMAC strategy forum? The one at Apolyton seems defunct.

Maybe no one is doing much creation anymore, I don't know. But if they are, it seems there should be a public place to share information on ongoing projects as well as techniques, and to help people get started doing it.

Is Creation at Apolyton dead because no one is making new stuff anymore? Or are they posting it somewhere else? I am new to the scene, and enjoy modding, and I am curious where the action is, and if it needs a new home. I don't think Apolyton's SMAC forums even have a moderator anymore.
If there are any responses, I'll split the thread.

Last edited by vyeh; 3rd May 2010 at 18:47.