Civilization Gaming Network Forums - Archive  

Go Back   Civilization Gaming Network Forums - Archive > Game Forums > SMAC/X - General/Help/Strategy > SMAC/X Unofficial Patch

Old 7th April 2012, 22:25

Arrow Game crashes when Hunter-Seeker Algorithm secret project is initialized

Hello everybody.

This is my first post. I recently discover this fanastic game and I still trying to win, but the game crashes very often. That's why I decided to report some bugs that I found in this forum.

This bug happens in midgame, when the secret project "Hunter Seeker Algorithm" is available. The moment I click in any of my bases to start the research, the game crashes and the infamous "terran.exe has stopped working" message appears on my screen. I installed SMAC, SMAX, the SMAX 2.0 update, the XP compatibility patch and the unofficial patch (in that order).

I have the save file and I tried to upload it, but I don't find the "'Manage Attachments" button, only the "Tags" and "Post Icons" sections (Maybe because this is my first post?). If someone can tell me how to upload, I can add the save file.

Sorry for the misspellings. English is not my first languaje.

Thanks.
Old 8th April 2012, 04:38

Re: Game crashes when Hunter-Seeker Algorithm secret project is initialized

Howdy electro123,

The Manage Attachments button is only available if you use the Post Reply button, not the Quick Reply button. However, there also might be a post count requirement; I'm not sure.

It sounds like your crash is being caused by a corrupt file. Have you uninstalled and reinstalled the game? If you've already tried that, or if reinstalling doesn't help, try posting a save file again. If there's a post count requirement, perhaps the board's super moderator, vyeh, will see this thread and waive the requirement.

Petek
Old 8th April 2012, 12:17

Hi Petek.

I actually did the reinstallation of the game before, and I also deleted the remaining firaxis folder just to be sure no older files remains (Not my first crash). Maybe this happens only to me, mostly because, I couldn't find any help googling the internet. I'm gonna try to upload the save file when I get the chance, but right now, under the posting rules section I get the You may not post attachments rule and I dont get Manage Attachments with post reply either. It would be nice to confirm if this crash happens to others as well.

In the meantime, I found a workaround. Sometimes, when the research is queued in some base, it begins, and the game doesn't crash. But I have to avoid clicking on that particular base, or see it in the information screen. It must be "left alone" until the research is over, otherwise, I get the the terran.exe message.

Yep, it is kind of annoying but at least I can keep the game running, :P.

electro123.
Old 9th April 2012, 01:42

I believe the requirement is 2 posts/2 days. If you still have problems after you have been registered for two days, please post.
Old 10th April 2012, 14:23

Ok, now I can upload the save file. It seems that the user must have 2 post minimum in order to get this option (protection against bots maybe).

The crash occurs if you start the Hunter Seeker Project in any base without queues.

As a final note, I keep playing the game and so far I haven't found any crashes. Please confirm if this happens in other computers as well.
Attached Files
File Type: rar Crash01.rar (70.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 10th April 2012, 21:51

The game doesn't crash for me when I start the HSA SP in a base. I think the most likely reason for the crash is that your graphic for the HSA is corrupt (even though you reinstalled). I uploaded the graphic from my PC. Rename your file (name is proj015.pcx and is located in the projs subfolder under the main SMACX folder) and replace it with mine. Does that fix the problem? If not, please post again. Good luck!
Attached Files
File Type: zip proj015.zip (2.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 18th April 2012, 01:11

OK, I replaced the file, but I'm still getting the same error. Still, I'm glad that the game doesn't crash in your computer, meaning that the bug must be something really specific. It could be a corrupted file or a compatibility issue.

I'm running the game with the following specs, (in case that someone want to track this down in the future):

Laptop: SAMSUNG X430
O.S: Windows 7 x32
Processor: Intel core i3
R.A.M: 3GB

Still, this is not a game-breaker for me, I have played a lot with another faction and I havent found any crashes so far.

Anyway, thanks for helping me.

Electro123.